LFM – 14 Feb 2016
Mark 4 :3-20 (NLT)
3 “Listen! A farmer went out to plant some seed. 4 As he scattered it across his field, some of the seed fell on a footpath, and the birds came and ate it. 5 Other seed fell on shallow soil with underlying rock. The seed sprouted quickly because the soil was shallow. 6 But the plant soon wilted under the hot sun, and since it didn’t have deep roots, it died. 7 Other seed fell among thorns that grew up and choked out the tender plants so they produced no grain. 8 Still other seeds fell on fertile soil, and they sprouted, grew, and produced a crop that was thirty, sixty, and even a hundred times as much as had been planted!”9 Then he said, “Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand.”
10 Later, when Jesus was alone with the twelve disciples and with the others who were gathered around, they asked him what the parables meant.
11 He replied, “You are permitted to understand the secret[a] of the Kingdom of God. But I use parables for everything I say to outsiders, 12 so that the Scriptures might be fulfilled:
‘When they see what I do, they will learn nothing.
When they hear what I say, they will not understand.
Otherwise, they will turn to me and be forgiven.’[b]”
13 Then Jesus said to them, “If you can’t understand the meaning of this parable, how will you understand all the other parables? 14 The farmer plants seed by taking God’s word to others. 15 The seed that fell on the footpath represents those who hear the message, only to have Satan come at once and take it away. 16 The seed on the rocky soil represents those who hear the message and immediately receive it with joy. 17 But since they don’t have deep roots, they don’t last long. They fall away as soon as they have problems or are persecuted for believing God’s word. 18 The seed that fell among the thorns represents others who hear God’s word, 19 but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things, so no fruit is produced. 20 And the seed that fell on good soil represents those who hear and accept God’s word and produce a harvest of thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times as much as had been planted!”
Seed = Word of God
- The Word is the good news of the way to salvation
- You start operating in the Kingdom of God here on earth
- Jesus reminded His disciples frequently that the kingdom of God is at hand
- Seeds are thrown to our hearts each time we hear or read the Word of God
- ?Did I nurture the seeds of the Word from last week?
- Where did it fall?….
- Fell on the footpath , birds came and ate it
- Hear the message only for the enemy to take it at once – A HARD HEART
- They are on the road, always busy so the Word inapita tu
- Sharing the word with someone who is busy
- A farmer busy concentrating planting maize, while at the back are birds
- Or inside the Church – Spirit of slumber – we are so busy that we come to sleep
- Fell on rocky soil – sprouted quickly because of the shallow soil, but wilted under the hot sun due to lack of deep roots
- Hear and receive the message with joy, but since it is not rooted in a relationship with God, the problems of the world sweep them away
- A ROCKY HEART – is one that doesn’t fully /really believe in the Word of God, they take it superficially
- Mungu amesema lakini? – elements of doubt and unbelief (not faith)
- They revert to their own ways when things become tough
- E.g. Abraham and Sarah, Mganga kutoka Kitui, TZ
- Believing in the problem more than believing in God.
- Sina / siwezi / sijui zinakua marafiki
- What you believe manifests in your life – rocky soil – (rocks –unbelief, soil – belief)
- Jesus always said that – Your faith has healed you- what you believe in your heart
- Fell among thorns – grew up but was choked by the thorns
- Hear God’s Word but the things of the world / flesh choke it and it does not yield any fruit.
- Worries of life – distracted with the good life and its pleasure – Raila / Uhuru amesema, Kogalo ama Manu walichezaje
- If there is football, even the pastor closes the church – World cup
- Lure of wealth – busy unatafuta, ati God only helps those who help themselves
- wealth as security paradox – the richer you are the more security you need
- Desire for other things – Daddy Owen – Bila yesu ni Vanity –
- Ako na gari kubwa kulika shida zake
- Anasema hakuna Mungu watu wajipange
- Aki ngojeka, daktari anatoka ngambo
- Aki boeka hapo utaona mambo
- Maombi kwake ni kelele
- # Nebucadneezzar humbled – Daniel 4
- Fell on fertile soil – sprouted, grew and produced crop, proportional to the much as had been planted
- Hear and accept God’s Word.
- The more of the Word of God that you take in, the more you shall produce
- You shall be fruitful and it shall multiply – kingdom economics
- Conditions for growth have to be appropriate
- Ephesians 4:18 – An open mind and a soft heart = teachable spirit
- – e.g. Without fear, doubt, unbelief, bitterness & unforgiveness, anger & rage
- Hebrews 12:15 (NLT)
15 Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many.
Vs 9 – Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand
- Do we have ears to hear and when we listen (concentrate), do we understand?
- John 10:27 (NLT)
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me
- Are we tuned to the frequency of heaven?
- John 6: 44-45 (NLT)
44 For no one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them to me, and at the last day I will raise them up. 45 As it is written in the Scriptures, ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me
How can we be tuned to the frequency of heaven?
- Kameme, Ramogi, Mulembe FM — Kiroho FM Je?
- The Spirit of God makes us understand the Word of God – he is the Author
- Those with a true relationship with Jesus should be able to listen and understand things of the Kingdom of God
- Vs 11 – Jesus permitted his disciples – (those with a relationship with Him), to understand the secrets of the Kingdom of God, but others heard it as parables
- How can we make the promises of God to be our right!?
- When you listen and understand and do according to the Word, (Turned too Jesus) then the promises of God become your right?
- Vs 12 – Otherwise, they will turn to me and be forgiven
- Listening & understanding – When they hear what I say, they will not understand
- Doing according to the Word – When they see what I do, they will learn nothing.
The Word of God = Manual of Life
- We need a manual to operate something new
- The Word of God gives us understanding / meaning for our lives
- Vs 13 – “If you can’t understand the meaning of this parable, how will you understand all the other parables
- Understanding , and understanding of the Word of God is crucial to understanding the other things in the Kingdom of God, and our lives as it relates to the kingdom.
- Our Manual of Life – The Word of God , is just like manuals for cars / electronics
- Life will not make sense if we don’t understand how to operate in it
- Therefore if we don’t understand the Word of God for our lives, we are directionless, confused – we don’t know / understand the meaning of our lives
- God in His mercy and grace, wrestles with us to realign our lives aligned with His Word.
- Just as God did for Jacob, we need to lose to God ( allowing His Word to prevail in our lives) for us to win in life
- We need to be professionals in the Word of God
- A professional knows, understand and do accordingly
- Others don’t understand, though they see or read
- Ken and pieces of clothing,
- Gilbert and electrical wires,
- Car mechanic.
- The Word of God comes as a seed in our lives.
- Every time we hear the Word, a seed is planted
- This seed needs fertile ground to be nurtured – A humble, teachable heart
- It cannot grow on hard hearts that are always busy
- It cannot grow on rocky soil
- Where the stones have not been completely removed
- We are still hard to hearing aspects we do not agree with
- It cannot flourish amongst thorns
- Crowded by the cares of the world / flesh
- The Seed flourishes in deep fertile soil
- A humble heart that is teachable – Teachable spirit
- A heart that seeks and is filled with the Word of God
- The nourished seeds grow into trees that can bear the fruits and gifts of the Spirit
- The more of the Word of God you nurture into your heart,
- The more fruit of the Spirit you will produce –
- Love, Joy, Peace , Patience, kindness Goodness, Gentleness
- The more gifts of the Spirit you will bear –
- Wisdom, knowledge, discernment, faith, healing, miracles