LFM – 24 Jan 2016
James 1:22-25 (NIV)
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
Who are blessed?
Those who listen and obey – have fear of the Lord
11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Last Sunday we were told that Jesus is teaching us.
- If so, what have I learnt from His teaching?
- We are keen and can remember:
- Political leaders
- What about us and the things of God?
Luke 16:8b (NLT) – The Unjust steward
And it is true that the children of this world are more shrewd in dealing with the world around them than are the children of the light.
1st Sunday of the year – 3 Jan 2016
- Luke 17: 11-19
- 10 lepers call on Jesus to have mercy on them
- Jesus instructs them to go show themselves to the priests and they are healed on the way
- One comes back, the foreigner and recognises Jesus -Your faith has healed /saved you
- ~ Some call on Jesus from afar, just for the miracle and go their way without seeking a relationship once they get what they want
- ? God can heal our leprosy, but we still need Him to be saved
- OUR LEPROSY BEING HEALED
2nd Sunday – 10 Jan 2016
- John 5:1-15
- A man at the pool of Bethesda had been lame for 38 years
- He is asked whether he wants to be well but he focuses on the problem and not the solution
- Jesus instructs him to get up , take up his mat and walk.
- He obeys and he is healed
- Jesus later found him in the temple, told him his problem of sin
14 But afterward Jesus found him in the Temple and told him, “Now you are well; so stop sinning, or something even worse may happen to you.”
- ~Jesus looked for this person who had been stuck in a helpless situation for 38 years.
- He picked him out of a crowd of sick people
God can do things without us knowing, with our lameness and sin. He picks us out of a crowd because He knows each one of us and our problems. We should recognise Gods hands in our blessings and go back to Him to be complete. – Jesus found him in the temple and instructed him to sin no more.
- GET UP, PICK UP YOUR MAT AND GO
3rd Sunday – 17 Jan 2016
- Mathew 8:5-13
- A centurion pleads to Jesus for his sick servant
- Jesus says he will come and heal
- The centurion tells Jesus that – His Word is enough
- ~ He recognises Jesus Spiritual authority, just as he had authority over the officers under him
- Mathew 5:3 (NIV)
“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- He believed and the servant was healed
- — Steps –>
- — Humble yourself before the Lord
- — Recognise Him as Lord and saviour
- — Believe that His is greater than the problem
- — have Faith with the corresponding actions
- Most of us fail at obeying God’s instructions
This may be interpreted as lack of FAITH in God because we do not do what He instructs us to do.
James 2:14 (NLT)
14 What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions?
- 17 Faith without works is dead
All this tied up in our FAITH in God and His Word
- God tells you to do something for our own good
- He blesses us when we listen and obey His Word
What is Faith?
Hebrew 11:1 (NLT)
Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
How does it come?
Romans 10:17 (NKJV)
17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Who is the source of our faith?
Hebrews 12:2a (NKJV)
2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith,
One of the 10 lepers, the lame man at the pool and the centurion all demonstrated faith in Jesus by recognising Jesus, listening to Jesus and obeying Jesus and they were blessed for it.
- The fullness of the blessing came about when they recognised Jesus – the author and the finisher of their faith.
- For the leper, he went back to Jesus and was told …Your faith has healed you
- For the lame man, he was found in the temple and was told by Jesus ….Now you are well, stop sinning or something worse may happen
- For the centurion recognised Jesus spiritual authority and was told….As you have believed, let it be done
Doing what the Word says is fear of the Lord,
not doing so is fear of the problem.
What you fear manifests in your life
7 For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.