LFM – 25 September 2016
Last week => Defining our mission in line with God’s Vision through Jesus Christ –
=> Luke 4:18-19
=> Anointed / Empowered by the Holy Spirit to:
- Preach Good News to the poor — those that don’t know Christ the Son of God
- Revelation of Jesus, The Son of God => Yahweh / Jehovah – I AM
- Proclaim that captives will be released – sin dealt with – we are righteous
- Christ as Saviour / Messiah
- Proclaim that the blind will see — Light of the World – see the things & provision of God
- Born again as children of God from darkness (womb) into light
- Proclaim that the oppressed will be set free —
- Once we know our rights, we cannot / should not be oppressed – road corruption
- Living in a time of the Lord’s Favour
- Accessing all of God’s blessings through Christ Jesus
- Names of Jehovah as I AM => Rapha – Healer, Jireh – Provider, Shalom – Peace
- Claiming our position & blessings as son of God in Christ Jesus – Michael in his father’s house
Once we know our mission – How do we start off? How did Jesus start off?
Luke 3:21-22 (NKJV)
21 When all the people were baptized, it came to pass that Jesus also was baptized; and while He prayed, the heaven was opened. 22 And the Holy Spirit descended in bodily form like a dove upon Him, and a voice came from heaven which said, “You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased.”
- Jesus was baptised — repentance?
- Luke 3:16 (NKJV)
- John answered, saying to all, “I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
- Lungs, eyes start working => Water baptism washes away the old => New empowers
- Acts 19:1-5 (NKJV)
- And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples2 he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.” 3 And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?” So they said, “Into John’s baptism.”
4 Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.”
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.
- While he prayed, the Holy Spirit descended on Him like a dove (peace)
- John 14:26-27 (NKJV)
- 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
- God confirmed Jesus as a Beloved Son that pleases Him
- Romans 8 :14-17 (NLT)
- 14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children[g] of God.
15 So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children.[h] Now we call him, “Abba, Father.”[i] 16 For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children. 17 And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.
- Galatians 4:4-7 (NLT)
- 4 But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, subject to the law. 5 God sent him to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that he could adopt us as his very own children.[b] 6 And because we[c] are his children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, “Abba, Father.”[d] 7 Now you are no longer a slave but God’s own child.[e]And since you are his child, God has made you his heir.
- We need to be baptised in water to symbolise our repentance / changing direction
- Washing away of the old (womb) while being born into the kingdom
- (Symbolic because we are saved by grace through faith. The only works that can be added are works of faith, actions that show we have faith in Jesus as Saviour)
- We also need the baptism of Jesus => Holy Spirit & Fire
- Embracing the new (of light) – eyes, lungs, voice are activated – equipped
- There should be manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit with the baptism of Jesus – Tongues, prophecy
- Hearing the voice of God => The Holy Spirit teaches us & guides us in the things of God
- Being led by the Holy Spirit is a confirmation of our son-ship. As children of God, we are also entitled to all that heaven has to offer – heirs to the kingdom of God.
- Peace with God as a result of being the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus => God is also well pleased with us.
- We walk boldly in His creation – a child who knows the father is around
- We ask for mercy and forgiveness for our sins – repent
- We believe in the finished work of the Cross of Jesus our Messiah that has washed away our sins and made us the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus
- We pray for the baptism of the Holy Spirit and Fire in our lives with manifestations of the fruits & gifts of the Spirit.
- May we share these wonderful fruits & gifts of the Spirit as a blessing to others so as to glorify your name Lord.
- We thank you for our confirmation as sons of God in Christ Jesus and therefore also heirs to the kingdom of God and all that the kingdom has to offer
- We thank you Jesus for your finished work on the cross of Calvary that made us the righteousness of God in whom God is also well pleased with.
- May we experience the peace of God that surpasses all understanding
- May the Grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Love of God & the Fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with us always and forever more.