Study Notes >> 14 November 2019
Is the Heart a combination of Spirit & Soul??
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart…Hebrews 4:12 (NKJV)
Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life…Proverbs 4:23 (NKJV)
For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, And floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, And My blessing on your offspring;..Isaiah 44:3
A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks…Luke 6:45
(NKJV) – He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.”
KJV – He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
John 15 – The True Vine
We produce the fruit of whatever vine we are attached to
Any fruit that is not of the Spirit of God is not considered fruit (is bad fruit)
We cannot be fruitful unless we are in Christ
…apart from Christ we can do (produce) nothing
In Christ we produce much fruit
When we ask for anything, while grafted in Christ, we shall be granted because the fruit of it shall be good as it is produced from Christ Himself!
Our Spirit is already born again
Our soul is the issue..it needs to be compliant to Christ
…It needs to be grafted into Christ so that Christ has control of the…
>> Mind – our thinking
>> Will – our doing
>> Emotions – fruit that is produced
We are a spirit, we live in a body and we have a soul.
- Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ…1 Thessalonians 5:23 (NKJV)
Our spirit is still corrupted when not born again
- -Allowing Christ by grace through faith makes it complete >> whole >> Holy??
Spirit & soul are one because
… the spirit that we attach our self to is what will produce its fruit in us
Romans 2:29 (NLT)
No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law; rather, it is a change of heart produced by the Spirit. And a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people.
Works of the flesh are…immorality, jealousy, rage…Galatians 5:19
Fruits of the Spirit are…love, joy, peace…Galatians 5:22
Matthew 12:33-35 (NKJV)
- “Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit.
- Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
- A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.
John 3:5 (NKJV)
- Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
Titus 3:5-6 (BLB)
- He saved us, not by works in righteousness that we did, but according to His mercy, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,
- whom He poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
Ezekiel 36:26 (NKJV)
- I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
- I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.
Ezekiel 11:19 (NIV)
- I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh.
- Cast away from yourselves all the transgressions you have committed, and fashion for yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. Why should you die, O house of Israel?
- Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Mark 7:6 – 9 (BSB)
Jesus answered them, “Isaiah prophesied correctly about you hypocrites, as it is written: ’These people honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me.
They worship Me in vain; they teach as doctrine the precepts of men.’
You have disregarded the commandment of God to keep the tradition of men.”
He went on to say, “You neatly set aside the commandment of God to maintain your own tradition.
Matthew 15:11, 18-19 (BSB)
A man is not defiled by what enters his mouth, but by what comes out of it.”
But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these things defile a man.
For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, and slander.
John 14:21 (BSB)
Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him.”
- >> To Love Christ is to know and keep His Word
- >> We are assured of the love of the Father when we love His Son
- >> Jesus demonstrates His love to us be revealing Himself to us
Philippians 3:3 (NLT)
For we who worship by the Spirit of God are the ones who are truly circumcised. We rely on what Christ Jesus has done for us. We put no confidence in human effort,
2 Corinthians 3:5-6, 17-18 (BSB)
Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim that anything comes from us, but our competence comes from God.
And He has qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into His image with intensifying glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
Galatians 5:4-6, 16-17, 24-25 (NLT)
4. For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace.
5. But we who live by the Spirit eagerly wait to receive by faith the righteousness God has promised to us.
6. For when we place our faith in Christ Jesus, there is no benefit in being circumcised or being uncircumcised. What is important is faith expressing itself in love.
16. So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.
17. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions.
24. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.
25. Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives.
Romans 8:5-11, 14, 16, 26 (BSB)
5. Those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh; but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.
6. The mind of the flesh is death, but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace,
7. because the mind of the flesh is hostile to God: It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so.
8. Those controlled by the flesh cannot please God.
9. You, however, are controlled not by the flesh, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.
10. But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.
11. And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit, who lives in you.
14. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.
16. The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
26. In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know how we ought to pray, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans too deep for words.
The Spirit gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.
No flesh shall glory in the presence of God
His presence burns the enemy
- >> A fire goes before Him, And burns up His enemies round about…Psalm 97:3 (NKJV)
Light always dispels darkness, however small
Exodus 33 >> Cultivating the Presence & Glory of God
- Moses said – I will not go without your presence
Show me your glory
Presence of God
Moses said they will not go without God’s presence
Where 2 or more are gathered – He will be there
- For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”…Matthew 18:20 (NKJV)
Glory of God = wholeness = Holiness
The totality of who and what God is
Our human mind & experience cannot fathom
….why Moses was told – I AM…Exodus 3
… Whatever and whoever you want me to be – I AM WHO I AM
- … The Name to be remembered to all generations
His Holiness, Majesty, Power, Beauty,..
- He is unlimited to Who & What He Is and Can Be to us
>> Exodus 33:12-23
- God knowing my name, or being my friend
- Having the favor or grace of God, Him being pleased with me
Knowing the ways of God
- Helps us know Him
- Makes us pleasing to Him
- Helps us continue to enjoy His favor
The presence of the Lord gives us rest (vs14)
- Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief…Hebrews 4:11(KJV)
The presence of the Lord
- Shows we have the favor of God
- Distinguished us from others of the world
Knowing the name
- Denotes intimate friendship
- Knowing the persons character, personality
The GLORY of God
- All the goodness of the Lord
- Proclaiming the Name of the Lord ( Jehovah / Yahweh )
- …the Great I Am – He can be whatever we need Him to be in our lives
- The Mercy & Grace of God
- The Compassion of God
Seeing the Face of God
- No one can see His face and live…Exodus 33:20
- …No flesh shall glory in the presence of God… 1 Corinthians 1:29…???
- No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is Himself God and is at the Father’s side, has made Him known…John 1:18 (BSB)
- He alone can never die, and he lives in light so brilliant that no human can approach him. No human eye has ever seen him, nor ever will. All honor and power to him forever! Amen…. 1 Timothy 6:16
- Then I will take My hand away, and you will see My back; but My face must not be seen.”… Exodus 33:23 (BSB)
But what of those that say they have seen God??
- There they saw the God of Israel. Under his feet there seemed to be a surface of brilliant blue lapis lazuli, as clear as the sky itself…Exodus 24:10 (NLT)
- Jacob named the place Peniel (which means “face of God”), for he said, “I have seen God face to face, yet my life has been spared.”…Genesis 32:30 (NLT)
- When Gideon realized that it was the angel of the LORD, he cried out, “Oh, Sovereign LORD, I’m doomed! I have seen the angel of the LORD face to face!”…Judges 6:22 (NLT)
- Then I said: “Woe is me, for I am ruined, because I am a man of unclean lips dwelling among a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of Hosts.”… Isaiah 6:5 (BSB)
Possibly, they saw Christ and not the Father
- Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation,…Colossians 1:15 (NLT)