SN – 26 March 2022
Gaining Authority ( stature with God and man)
Why aren’t I being used (elevated) by God?
One aspect could be an issue of pride…
… that manifests itself as lack of honor on my part
… when I don’t recognize and submit to the authority God has put in place
… for I cannot gain from whom or that which I despise (have no faith in)
I cannot expect to receive anything form God without faith … James 1:6-7
Hebrews 11:6 (NIV)
– And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.
… The Word of God ( from God) has an expected good end for those who diligently pursue it to fruition.
Matthew 10:41 (NIV)
– Whoever welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and whoever welcomes a righteous person as a righteous person will receive a righteous person’s reward.
… Joshua and Caleb vs the other 10 spies >> Numbers 13 –
– Joshua and Caleb came back with a good report and saw the reward of the promise
… Esau despised his birthright and lost out on his blessing
– And Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils; then he ate and drank, arose, and went his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright….Genesis 25:34 (NKJV)
Hebrews 12:16-17 (BSB)
– See to it that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his birthright.
– For you know that afterward, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected. He could find no ground for repentance, though he sought the blessing with tears.
Welcome to today’s deliberations on authority (growing in stature with God and man)…
>> Understanding authority and being under authority
# To gain authority, one must learn to be under authority??
God works well with people who understand authority and practice honor.
For this puts to the test the aspect of humility in ones life…
…that we are indeed able to humble our self before the Lord
…. and possible when we are ready ( passed the test of humility), He may elevate us…
Jeremiah 17:9-10 (NKJV)
– “The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?
– I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings.
1 Peter 5:5-6 (NIV)
– In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”
– Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.
# Authority and its connection to faith…
>> Matthew 8:5-13 > Story of the Centurion
– 8 The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.
– 9 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
– 10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “ Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.
13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.
# Authority and Fear of the Lord > Joseph
… far be it that I sin against God, by dishonoring my master
Genesis 39:8-9 (NIV)
– But he refused. “With me in charge,” he told her, “my master does not concern himself with anything in the house; everything he owns he has entrusted to my care.
– No one is greater in this house than I am. My master has withheld nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. How then could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?”
# Authority and Touching the Lord’s Anointed
>> David & Saul… 1 Samuel 24:6; 1 Samuel 26:9; 2 Samuel 1:16
… I shall not touch the Lord’s anointed…
Romans 14:4a (NKJV)
– Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls.
God deals with His own people, His own way…
– The Lord Himself will strike him down, or he will die of old age or in battle… 1 Samuel 26:10
– Leaving vengeance to the Lord… Romans 12:19
# Authority and honor
Nabal dishonours while Abigail honours David – 1 Samuel 25
… dishonor met with death > Nabal
… honor met with promotion?? > Abigail
# Authority and a long and prosperous life
Deuteronomy 5:16 (NKJV)
– Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may be well with you in the land which the LORD your God is giving you.
Matthew 15:4 (NKJV)
– For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’
Proverbs 20:20 (NKJV)
– Whoever curses his father or his mother, His lamp will be put out in deep darkness.
To be of good use to, indeed to be elevated by God…
…2 Timothy 2 gives us an idea of what is required…
… to be an approved workman of God
… as a vessel of honor (as opposed to dishonor)
… sanctified and useful to the master
… prepared for every good work
2 Timothy 2 (NKJV)
– 15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.”
20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor.
21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.
2 Timothy 2:21 (NLT)
– If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work.
The starting point of my wanting to gain authority (stature with God and man)
…is submitting to the Lordship (authority) of Jesus Christ
… so that He can work salvation in my life
( Salvation >> to salvage or recover, all that was lost or stolen in my life, restoration of position in God…)
>> “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding… Proverbs 9:10
Romans 10:9-10 (NIV)
– If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
– For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.
*May the Lord help us to be fully and humbly submitted to Him in all things and at all times*
*… indeed cleansed, sanctified and purified from all dishonor*
*… so that we may be vessels of honor*
*… growing in wisdom, favour and stature with God and man*
*… ready and useful to the Master for every good work*