2 October 2022
Today’s bible study will touch on…
… that may limit our potential & blessings or lead to our destruction.
A pointer to generational or family curses ??
Psalm 11:3 KJV
If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?
David, Saul & The Gibeonites
David avenges the Gibeonites
… to avert a famine
… for God to heed the prayer of the land
>> 2 Samuel 21:1-14 NKJV
1. Now there was a famine in the days of David for three years , year after year; and David inquired of the Lord . And the Lord answered, “ It is because of Saul and his bloodthirsty house , because he killed the Gibeonites.”
3. Therefore David said to the Gibeonites, “ What shall I do for you? And with what shall I make atonement, that you may bless the inheritance of the Lord ?”
7. But the king spared Mephibosheth the son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, because of the Lord ’s oath that was between them, between David and Jonathan the son of Saul.
… Remnant chosen by grace
9. and he delivered them into the hands of the Gibeonites, and they hanged them on the hill before the Lord . So they fell, all seven together, and were put to death in the days of harvest, in the first days, in the beginning of barley harvest.
14b. … So they performed all that the king commanded. And after that God heeded the prayer for the land.
ARE SUCH ACTIONS NECESSARY TODAY??
Hebrews 9:22 NKJV
- And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.
Hebrews 9:11-15 NKJV
11. But Christ came as High Priest of the good things to come, with the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands, that is, not of this creation.
12. Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.
13. For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh,
14. how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
15. And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant , by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.
Hebrews 10:8-10 NKJV
8. Previously saying, “Sacrifice and offering, burnt offerings, and offerings for sin You did not desire, nor had pleasure in them ” (which are offered according to the law),
9. then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God.” He takes away the first that He may establish the second.
10. By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Galatians 3:13-14 NKJV
- Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”),
- that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
Hebrews 12:1-2 NKJV
- Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
- looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith , who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
2 Timothy 4:7
… let us be given the grace
– to fight the good fight
– finish the race
– and particularly in this context, keep the faith
… and not fall from grace by being severed away from Christ ( Galatians 5:4)