《《 BIBLE STUDY 》》
Sunday 8 October 2022
… facilitator notes for Sunday discussion ( 10am)
Last Sunday, on the story of King David, the Gibeonites and the family of Saul… 2 Samuel 21:1-14
… we saw that there was a ‘ generational curse ‘ ( a judgement for injustice against the family of Saul for murder) that had to be enforced by David for a famine to be lifted over the land by the Lord.
But in between the whole drama
… there was one Mephibosheth that was not a partaker of the curse!
>> vs 7. But the king spared Mephibosheth the son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, because of the Lord ’s oath that was between them, between David and Jonathan the son of Saul.
A remnant chosen by grace?
II Samuel 9:3, 7 NKJV
3. Then the king said, “ Is there not still someone of the house of Saul, to whom I may show the kindness of God? ” And Ziba said to the king, “There is still a son of Jonathan who is lame in his feet.”
7. So David said to him, “Do not fear, for I will surely show you kindness for Jonathan your father’s sake, and will restore to you all the land of Saul your grandfather; and you shall eat bread at my table continually.”
Romans 11:4-5 NKJV
- But what does the divine response say to him? “I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.”
- Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
Ezra 9:8 NKJV
- And now for a little while grace has been shown from the LORD our God, to leave us a remnant to escape, and to give us a peg in His holy place, that our God may enlighten our eyes and give us a measure of revival in our bondage .
A number of us find ourselves in similar scenarios
… where we are one or a few in our families that have been given the opportunity to contend for and experience the salvation of the Lord.
… a remnant chosen by amazing grace
… a peg in the Holy place of the Lord
… being brought out from the strongholds of tradition or religion
… with a chance for personal salvation
… as well as contend for family salvation
… indeed our eyes enlightened and given a measure of revival in bondage.
It is upon us therefore to take full advantage of the amazing love, amazing mercy and amazing grace of the Lord in our lives…
… to pursue God with all our heart in His time of favor and His day of salvation
… especially now , when He can still be found
… when His favour is still open for us to be heard ( Esther)
… and when His salvation is still available to be partaken of.
2 Corinthians 6:1-2 NIV
As God’s co-workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain . For he says, “In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.” I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation.
Matthew 27:50-51 NKJV
- And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit.
- Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split,
Isaiah 55:6 NKJV
- Seek the LORD while He may be found, Call upon Him while He is near.
Hebrews 14:16 NKJV
- Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
… we look at the Prayer of Jabez
And positioning oneself for God’s favor despite one’s seemingly negative background.