SRPC 《《 *BIBLE STUDY* 》》
Question for consideration
for Sunday 30 October
CAN ONE LOSE THEIR SALVATION?
There is the question of once saved always saved…
… just mentioning – Nimeokoka – I am saved
… but Yesu sio Bwana – Jesus is not yet Lord of my life
There are various elements that may point to being under Lordship, such as…
– Intimacy & relationship
– Humility, submission, obedience
– Fear of the Lord ( … where we basically fear offending God in any way)
This subject can be explored using various scriptures
We will be considering just 2 main ones …
… where it is not just those who say ( Lord Lord …) and do anything,
… even if it is on the behalf of the Lord
… that will be eligible for the kingdom of heaven
… but only those who do the will of the Father
The parable of the 10 virgins in Matthew 25:1-13
… where only those well prepared and ready (found with burning lamps)
… even within the Church,
… shall go with Jesus
Welcome all for tomorrow’s bible study discussion @ 10am
SRPC 《《 *BIBLE STUDY* 》》
Sunday 30 October 2022
Today’s discussion question:
Can one lose their salvation?
Matthew 7:21-27 NKJV
21. “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven , but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’
23. And then I will declare to them, ‘ I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
24. “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock:
25. and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
26. “But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand:
27. and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.”
Parable of the 10 virgins
– Where within the church there are those considered wise or foolish in their pursuit of Jesus
– Everyone has lamps, but only the wise
… carry extra oil with their lamps –
… considered to have done adequate preparations before time, to be ready when the Lord comes for His Bride
– Jesus will therefore only recognize or acknowledge as His those who have their lamps burning at the time of His coming.
Salvation here has been narrowed down to
… Jesus coming for His eligible bride
… a bride who has done adequate preparations & is ready with a burning lamp to enter the kingdom of heaven with Jesus.
Eligibility criteria for my house ( life) to stand
… not just about saying or hearing, but doing
… not just about doing anything, but doing the will of the Father
… doing anything not aligned to the will of the Father is to practice lawlessness?
… wisdom is about hearing the Word and doing it
The questions are…
>> Do I go to Church and just shout
– God is good,
– Bwana Yesu asifiwe
– Nimeokoka na Yesu ni Bwana
… but have nothing in my life that demonstrates
– the goodness of God
– the salvation of the Lord
… I just hear the Word, but don’t bother to follow
… therefore the Word has no impact ( fruit) in my life
>> Am I adequately prepared for the coming of the Lord with my burning lamp?
…. that I may be in Church, calling myself a Christian, thinking all is well with my salvation
… but my lamp has gone out a long time a ago & I don’t have any oil!!
>> Do I think that after just saying the ‘salvation prayer’ all is well…
… not knowing that it is just the beginning of demonstrating (validating) my new found faith with works of faith?
… where my heart is constantly searched, my mind tested, to ensure that I am producing good fruit.
… indeed where I hear and understand the Word and it makes a positive impact in my life (bear good fruit)
Hebrews 4:12 NKJV
- For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Jeremiah 17:9-10 NKJV
- “The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?
- I, the LORD, search the heart , I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings.
Matthew 13:23 NKJV
- But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.”
Galatians 5:22-23 NKJV
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
- gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
John 15:4-5 NKJV
- Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
- “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
Can one therefore lose their salvation?
- NKJV – When I say to the righteous that he shall surely live, but he trusts in his own righteousness and commits iniquity , none of his righteous works shall be remembered; but because of the iniquity that he has committed, he shall die.
- NLT – When I tell righteous people that they will live, but then they sin, expecting their past righteousness to save them, then none of their righteous acts will be remembered. I will destroy them for their sins.
2 Peter 2:20-22 NKJV
20. For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning.
21. For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.
22. But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog returns to his own vomit,” and, “a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire.”
Hebrews 6:4-8 NKJV
4. For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit,
5. and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
6. if they fall away , to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.
7. For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God;
8. but if it bears thorns and briers, it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned.
Salvation is a free gift received by grace through faith and not by works so that none may boast… Ephesians 2:8-9
…but the faith component requires actions that prove that I indeed have faith
… faith without works is dead … James 2:17
Works that are empowered by the grace of God to validate my faith…
…not by power or might but by the Spirit of God … Zechariah 4:6b
Conclusion & Prayer
2 Peter 3:14 NKJV
Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless;
II Peter 1:10 NKJV
Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure , for if you do these things you will never stumble;
1 Thessalonians 5:23 BSB
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your entire spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 1:7 BSB
so that the proven character of your faith –more precious than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire– may result in praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.