SRPC BIBLE STUDY
Sunday 4 Dec 2022
For today’s Bible Study
We look at Ruth 2 & 3
.. Boaz as a model for Male Leadership
Ruth 2 & 3
Boaz & Ruth
A model on how men should treat women in society?
Through exercising the
… Priestly & Prophetic role
… Provision and Protective role
We are given indications that Boaz was
… A person who knew the Lord, prayerful & a blessor of others
… Respectful to & protective of women and the underprivileged
… Generous & considerate to his workers and to strangers
One of the main lessons
… and a challenge for men in today’s society
… is that Boaz did not take advantage of Ruth!!
… even though he could have, given his position and Ruth’s situation
… but instead we see him exercising the priestly & prophetic, provision and protective leadership roles over her.
Ruth 2 NKJV
4. Now behold, Boaz came from Bethlehem, and said to the reapers, “The Lord be with you!” And they answered him, “The Lord bless you!”
5. Then Boaz said to his servant who was in charge of the reapers, “Whose young woman is this?”
8. Then Boaz said to Ruth, “You will listen, my daughter, will you not? Do not go to glean in another field, nor go from here, but stay close by my young women
9. Let your eyes be on the field which they reap, and go after them. Have I not commanded the young men not to touch you? And when you are thirsty, go to the vessels and drink from what the young men have drawn.”
11. And Boaz answered and said to her, “It has been fully reported to me, all that you have done for your mother-in-law since the death of your husband, and how you have left your father and your mother and the land of your birth, and have come to a people whom you did not know before.
12. The Lord repay your work, and a full reward be given you by the Lord God of Israel, under whose wings you have come for refuge.”
14. Now Boaz said to her at mealtime, “Come here, and eat of the bread, and dip your piece of bread in the vinegar.” So she sat beside the reapers, and he passed parched grain to her ; and she ate and was satisfied, and kept some back.
15. And when she rose up to glean, Boaz commanded his young men, saying, “ Let her glean even among the sheaves, and do not reproach her.
16. Also let grain from the bundles fall purposely for her; leave it that she may glean, and do not rebuke her.”
Ruth 3 NKJV
8. Now it happened at midnight that the man was startled, and turned himself; and there, a woman was lying at his feet.
9. And he said, “Who are you?”
… So she answered, “I am Ruth, your maidservant. Take your maidservant under your wing, for you are a close relative.”
10. Then he said, “ Blessed are you of the Lord, my daughter! For you have shown more kindness at the end than at the beginning, in that you did not go after young men, whether poor or rich.
11. And now, my daughter, do not fear. I will do for you all that you request, for all the people of my town know that you are a virtuous woman.
14. So she lay at his feet until morning, and she arose before one could recognize another. Then he said , “Do not let it be known that the woman came to the threshing floor.”
15. Also he said, “Bring the shawl that is on you and hold it.” And when she held it, he measured six ephahs of barley, and laid it on her. Then she went into the city.
18. Then she said, “Sit still, my daughter, until you know how the matter will turn out; for the man will not rest until he has concluded the matter this day.”
Men need to
… turn from a predatory mindset
… into a sacrificial loving mindset
… exhibiting Servant Leadership
… like that of Christ
… and modeled for us here by Boaz
… honoring and respecting the woman
… protecting her integrity
In order to fulfill their divine mandate over the vulnerable in society
… particularly over those they have power, influence & authority over.
And this will mainly entail exercising their
… Priestly & prophetic
… Provision & Protection
… roles in a manner that is worthy of their calling & responsibilities towards God and man,
… all achieved by the grace of God
… all done to the glory of God.
Philippians 2 gives us some perspective on the same.
Philippians 2:3, 5-11 (NIV)
3. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,
5. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
6. Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7. rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant being made in human likeness.
8. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!
9. Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
10. that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11. and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
… servant leadership is rewarded by the Lord,
… exalting and giving grace to the humble
… bestowing honor and glory on the faithful servants.
… men should automatically be?? submitted to and respected by their family
… as unto the Lord
… especially when they are servant leaders!!
The knee should bow & tongue acknowledge – submission, honor & respect??
1 Peter 3:5-6
- For this is how the holy women of the past adorned themselves. They put their hope in God and were submissive to their husbands,
- just as Sarah obeyed Abraham and called him lord. And you are her children if you do what is right and refuse to give way to fear.