SRPC BIBLE STUDY
Saturday 3 December 2022
We are currently in the Male Role series..
… looking at scriptures that pertain to the man
… to gain more insight into their roles and responsibilities
… and gain powerful prayer points through the Word of God
… for the divine male standard for the men in our society
… as our fathers, husbands, brothers and sons
Previously we looked at 1 Corinthians 11
… where one of the main points we found was that
… The male leadership role model is Christ
… And men in particular are to model Christ & His relationship with the Father.
And here we look to glean some wisdom, insight or perspective from
- 1 Peter 3:7
- Colossians 3
- Ephesians 5
… as they pertain to the men .
Unity For Blessing
1 Peter 3:7 AMP
- In the same way, you husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way [with great gentleness and tact, and with an intelligent regard for the marriage relationship], as with someone physically weaker, since she is a woman. Show her honor and respect as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered or ineffective.
A man is joined to his wife and become one.
… we have previously seen that the power of one, in love and unity, evokes a blessing from the Lord
… Psalm 133 & the Tower of Babel
Therefore a man covering his wife is a man covering himself
… hence displaying love and unity within his body
… where the Lord can command a blessing
… with nothing hindering the prayers of the man
Sacrifice for Reward
… that involves humbling ourselves
… and making a choice of doing the right thing in faith
… with the focus on doing it unto to the Lord and not to men
Colossians 3 NKJV
- 19. Husbands, love your wives and do not be bitter toward them.
- 21. Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.
- 23. And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men,
- 24. knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.
- 25. But he who does wrong will be repaid for what he has done, and there is no partiality.
Doing heartily unto the Lord attracts a reward
… as it is a display of pleasing faith
… where one believes in God Almighty & in His ability to perform for those that diligently seek Him … Hebrews 11:6
Ephesians 5 NKJV
- 23. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body
- 25. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,
- 26. that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word,
- 27. that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.
- 28. So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself.
- 29. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.
- 30. For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones.
- 31. “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”
- 32. This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
- 33. Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
Ephesians 5 from a male perspective,
… taking after Jesus Christ
… as the male leadership role model & symbol of authority
… gives some insight and perspective on the roles & responsibilities of a man
… particularly as regards to his wife.
Male as the head is therefore obligated
… To become one with his wife
… love, nourish and cherish her as himself
To love sacrificially
… being responsible for the salvation of the family members
… using the Word for sanctification and cleansing
… and present to himself a wife, holy and without blemish
Elements of sanctification and cleansing through washing of water by the word– Ephesians 5:26
- Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you…. John 15:3 KJV
- Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth…. John 17:17 KJV
- To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me…. Acts 26:8 KJV
… Exercising the power of the tongue and prophecy
… Exercising faith, that comes through hearing the Word, and the Word about Christ
… Coming to the knowledge of the Truth – open eyes & choices – blessing or curse, life or death
… Which brings about revelation for repentance – turning from darkness to light
… Bringing one out of the power of Satan unto God – for whom the Son sets free is free indeed.
… Having been washed, sanctified and justified in the Name of Jesus and by His Spirit
- And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.. 1 Corinthians 6:11 KJV
- And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified…. Acts 20:32 KJV
Any man who is willing, able and indeed performs as Christ for his wife deserves submission & respect!
Jesus Christ has performed for us, therefore we have no obligation but to have total submission to and respect for Him
But most men want the submission & respect without regards to performance!!
… though our performance should not be predicated on others,
… for it should be unto the Lord, doing the right thing regardless (righteousness)
… a working out of our own salvation with fear and trembling
… as well as an act of sacrificial love used to provoke another to reconsider their wayward ways
… poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of their faith
… through acting out our obligation to be salt and light to the world
… being fruitful in good works
… to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 7 NKJV
- 13. And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him.
- 14. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.
- 16. For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?
- 17. (BSB) – Regardless, each one should lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him and to which God has called him. This is what I prescribe in all the churches.
Humility (submission, honor, respect)
… has a way of softening even the hardest of hearts
… for actions of sacrificial love speak louder than words
1 Peter 3:1-2
- Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they,without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives,
- as they observe your pure and respectful behavior.
Proverbs 11:30 NKJV
- The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, And he who wins souls is wise.
1 Peter 2 NKJV
- 11. Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul,
- 15. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men—
- 21. For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:
>> This is to My Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, proving yourselves to be My disciples… John 15:8
>> In everything, show yourself to be an example by doing good works. In your teaching show integrity, dignity,… Titus 2:7
By having the right Christ-like attitude >> Beatitudes of Matthew 5,
… that come with their own rewards
… such as…
Matthew 5 NKJV
- 10. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- 11. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.
- 12. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
- 13. “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
- 14. “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
- 15. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lamp stand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
- 16. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
1 Corinthians 9 (BSB)
- 19. Though I am free of obligation to anyone, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.
- 22. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.
- 23. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings.
- 24. Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to take the prize.
- 25. Everyone who competes in the games trains with strict discipline. They do it for a crown that is perishable, but we do it for a crown that is imperishable.
- 26. Therefore I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight like I am beating the air.
- 27. No, I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.
Philippians 2 NKJV
- 12. Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence,work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
- 13. for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
- 14. Do all things without complaining and disputing,
- 15. that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,
- 16. holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.
- 17. Yes, and if I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all.